I got the chance to speak to a class of graduating college students this evening. It was an amazing experience and I really had a lot of fun. I’ll share with you the words of wisdom I said to them and pray that even as they reach you, they will remind me of things long forgotten and dreams almost buried that need to be resurrected.
- Don’t be afraid to fail: It is only in failing that you find the strength and determination to succeed.
- Don’t be afraid to start: it’s not all rosy and it’s not always going to be perfect timing or environment. Just start!
- Don’t be afraid to start again: this ties #1 and #2 together. Get back up, dust yourself off and start again.
- Don’t be afraid to ask: If you are constantly the smartest person in the room and have nobody to look to for advise then you are in the wrong company. There is no such thing as a stupid question.
- “Everything rises and falls on leadership” [John C. Maxwell] – The world is looking for leaders not complainers and not people who will bring with them more problems as opposed to those who come to bring solutions.
- Find your passion, and follow it: Find that one thing you were created to do. That thing that brings you joy and returns the sparkle into your eye. Find it, start doing it, and do it well. It will give you longer life and something to wake up to every day.
- Attitude is everything: Skill, Exposure, Experience, Expertise; non of these matter if you have a stinky attitude. A story is told of a man who left the house and everywhere he went that day, he could not shake a nasty smell that followed him everywhere. He complained about it all day and finally got home still complaining about it. It’s only as he was getting ready to go to bed and went to wash his face that he noticed a piece of cheese stuck to his moustache. THE WORLD DOESN’T NECESSARILY SMELL – SOMETIMES YOUR ATTITUDE HAS A LOT TO DO WITH THAT!
You are Beautiful – Empowered – Visionary
You are a @BeautifulPetal_